Sunday, July 8, 2007

The home refi we are getting has part of it as a small home equity loan. Yesterday, when I opened a letter the bank mailed me, I noticed that the closing costs on the equity part was another $790.00. They are already getting $3800.00 for the main loan closing. They are charging me $350.00 on each loan for the home appraisal. I don't understand that! If it was just done and it's the same bank, why can't they just make a copy. My interest rate on the main loan is 6.875% and the equity loan is 10.50%. I checked the paperwork on the home equity loan that we had at our credit union before this refi and it was at 8.50% and we didn't have to pay for another appraisal, they just used the one from the main mortage at the other bank since it was pretty current. Sounds like I'm getting ripped off. I'm going to check with the credit union first thing in the morning and if they have a better offer, I'm going to turn down the bank. I guess I should have shopped aroung a little more.

No comments: